Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Venting Things....

I started this blog fourteen years ago and it's been of variable use to me. I still love it and am glad I have this forum to talk about ridiculous things and put things in writing that I might want to remember. It's my outlet and I have always have appreciated having it.

I had great hopes of it being one of the main ways to connect with readers, promote my books and events. Hence... Tall Tale Tuesday, and Two Truths and a Lie. Alas, times change and blogs seem to be going by the wayside in favor of other social media platforms. I hope it switches back to the old way, though I'm not delusional on that.

Which I hate. I'm not much for the main social media platform, as you already know. I'll post events, but I suck at interacting with people and keeping up. Heck, it will remind me that it's someone's birthday and I'll either text them or send them a private message because I don't want to show up on there.

Anyway... My point is, and I think it's one of the reasons I've been silent on here, is that I was talking with someone I considered to be a friend a few weeks ago. We were catching up and talking about this and that, and when I attempted to input about things going on in my life, I was cut off and told that they "knew" because they read this blog.

They proceeded to tell me that since they follow my blog, they feel like they know what's going on with me and that there's no reason for me to be repetitive and that I was a bad friend for not checking in with them more frequently since they already knew what was going on with me and I clearly didn't know what was going on with them. Really?

Repetitive as in how? My question was to the effect of do you really think I post everything going on to the blog? I hit the highlights. Some of them. Not nearly all. Never the lows. And I don't go into great detail. So how does that make you think that you know everything that's going on with me?

I was hurt. I still am hurt. Is that why we would only talk when it had been a few weeks between blog posts? Or what? Friendship is supposed to be a two way street. But the comment explains to me why I felt like I was the one listening and never had a chance to speak.

They thought this blog gave them a complete and total picture of my life.

Let me be clear in saying that it doesn't. It doesn't even come close. You can't say "oh, I read your blog" and believe you know everything that happened or is going on. You can't feel like you're connected to my life when you are getting the super-superficial.

I can't say I've completely parted ways with this friend. I've known them for a super long time and I do feel like the friendship is salvageable. I think I have effectively blocked them from accessing this blog. Which is for the point I'm trying to make. Are you really friends with me, or is it all about you? You only call me when I don't post. As evidenced by the call I received late last week. That I didn't answer.

The next time we talk, I want a give and take. A real conversation. Not an "yeah, I know. I read your blog". Because you don't know. You know the surface and nothing below.

Because I still love ya and I want the old relationship. (which means nothing since you can't see this)

I completely and utterly appreciate every single person who reads this blog. I know it's ridiculous and silly, but the fact that someone takes the times to read my bullshit and thoughts... well, that means a lot.

I guess my bottom line with this post is that... check in on your friends. The ones who post the crazy stuff on social media, the ones who don't post on social media, the ones that post pictures of their food and nothing else. Social media for most people my age is completely and utterly superficial. We still need read friends.

Thank you for listening to my venting!

And now we will return to our regular postings...

Behave!

No comments: