Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Scared!!

So the other night I was double-checking some research for the book I'm editing. Yes, I research first, but this particular story element took a wider turn than expected. I needed more information and I wanted to make sure my fictional world had at least minimal ties to reality. Writing about "the unknown" gives you a lot of creative freedom, but knowing the facts is important.
Anyway.
I didn't think it was going to take me all night, but I wasn't finding the information I needed. Page after page of demon and vengeful spirit related information - and still not quite what I was looking for. More research while on the phone with a friend helping me from her computer, lots of laughter, and an eventual find of at least part of what I was looking for. Lots of creepy and unusual information exchanged.
Then...
The nightmare.
I woke up nearly hyperventilating. I'd dreamed of my legs being clawed by demons in human form and I could swear the pain was real. The dog decided to change positions about this time, nearly knocking over a chair in our room and adding to my fright. Everything I'd read earlier came rushing back, especially a particularly scary story.
I'll admit it. I was afraid to open my eyes.
...Are you done laughing yet?...
So, yeah, I managed to get myself back to sleep. The next day I found out that the same friend who'd helped me with my research had a nightmare about the same exact time I had mine.
What do you suppose that means?
I don't want to think too hard about that.
Can you blame me?
That's all.
Behave!

No comments: