Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Wow...Now That Was Crazy Fun!

I thought I was going to have a quiet Saturday... The boys went on a scout trip and K4 and I were going to have a quiet "jammie day" - naps, movies, and junk food. She and K2 were off doing girl things Friday night, which was the first alteration to the weekend. (We were supposed to take care of headphone returning and junk food purchasing) But that was okay. I got caught up on a bunch of stuff and goofed off. Around midnight, I got a call from my sister... Did I want to go to Farm Aid the next day? Our very good friend wasn't sure she was feeling up to going and, if she wasn't better by morning, graciously offered me her ticket at a reduced rate.
Of course I said yes. I mean, Farm Aid? Willie Nelson (who doesn't love Willie?), Jack Johnson (love), Dave Matthews (love), Kenny Chesney (also love, what can I say, I'm a country girl at heart), John Mellencamp, ALO, and a couple of new bands to me.
I end up talking to my sister until about 1am to discuss the potential of the previously purchased tickets being displaced. Panic ensued. We wouldn't know for sure until morning, so I finally went to bed. Slept in a little, but not as much as I'd planned.
Wait. Write. Start laundry. Drink a ton of coffee. Wait. Write.
Finally, my brother-in-law calls. We're in. Tickets are not lost. Bff is not able to go (as much as I wish she could have been there, I appreciate her so much!). I panic. I've never been to anything like this before. My concert going experience has been limited to a State Fair performance by Reba McEntire before she got hugely famous, Hank Williams, Jr, Willie Nelson, and Garth Brooks (told you I'm a country girl at heart).
I make sure K2's available to hang out with K4 all day. Shower. Grab a sweatshirt, my debit card, and we're off. We park, run into someone we haven't seen since my b-i-l's first band. That's odd, but not uncommon. Finally start walking in and see John Mellencamp in the back of a passing golf cart. We wave, he waves back. Fan girl squee moment. We check out the exhibits, then go to find out seats. It's early and there's hardly anyone else there.(I'm going to shorten this for space)
The bands start. Lukas Nelson - he was awesome and has his dad's voice. ALO! Grace Potter and the Nocturnals! That was incredible! Finally Jack Johnson came on! Oh, how I love Jack! He was brilliant and funny! Kenny was up next and he put on and fantastic show. Loved it! Then...Dave Matthews! I love Dave Matthews as much as I love Jack Johnson. Dave Matthews! Squee! (by this time, I'm over the top...I've seen three of my favorite musicians!) Then John Mellencamp. I love him. I grew up with Jack and Diane. He put on a good show, but he doesn't sing much anymore. Don't hate me, but I'm not a big Neil Young fan. Sure, I like some of his songs, just none of the ones he played. We missed Willie!
We were under the impression the venue closed at 11pm - all music ceased or big fines were amassed. Apparently that wasn't the case. From what we heard Willie started close to 11:30. Dang.
In any event, it was a lot of fun. I'm glad I went!
Behave!

No comments: