Pages

Thursday, June 04, 2020

So Much...

It's been a long week. 

I am done. 

I have seen families fighting and calling names over differing opinions and political views. I have seen relationships broken and damaged beyond repair. Families altered and now estranged because of a social media post and an inability to scroll past or at least offer a respectful response. 

Listen. I don't care about your politics. At all. If I like you. I like you. Most likely we can have a reasonable conversation about the things we don't agree on. And if, over the years, we've found that type of discussion is not good for us, then we won't have it. 

Actually, I would prefer not to talk politics at all. That's not why we're hanging out. 

That seems to work face to face, but when someone is hidden behind a screen, it's different. And it sucks. Just don't comment. Or hide that person so their posts don't up your ire. It's responsible and mature. 

And, just so we're clear, I'm not talking about racism above. That's a totally different topic and I won't have any kind of discussion with you, ever, if you think racism is okay. It's not. Ever. In fact, if you think racism is okay, I am probably not your friend at all. 

All of it just makes me sad. I know we're all sick of the Covid stuff, we're sick of politics, murder hornets, the tiger king, not being able to find what we need at the store... we're sick of how life has gone pretty much all year, but we cannot lose our humanity or our compassion for each other. 

Just scroll on by, for crying out loud. It's not that hard. Do not make horrible comments and call names to someone because their opinion is different than yours. Don't continually seek them out to further make comments. If you are that vehement about what they post, then do your research and have an intelligent and reasonable conversation with them. Or block them. The choice is yours. Calling people names makes you look like an *ss and makes you lose people in your life. And if that happens, you have no one to blame but yourself. 

I know people are passionate and can be vociferous when they are projecting their opinions. They are allowed. Just as you are allowed to post what you want on your page. It's their social media platform and they can post whatever they want. Their opinions might not line up with yours. That's fine. They don't care because it belongs to them and they are making that post for themselves. Not to you. Not to change your opinion. Or make you angry. Scroll on by. Or block them. It's pretty obvious that you're not going to change their opinion by calling them names. 

Like I said, it's been a long week. No, I'm not going to tell you what family I'm talking about. I highly doubt you would know them anyway. They are not people I ever talk about on here. My heart breaks for them and my hope is that one day they can work through this and be whole again.

Be kind to each other. I know you're a little cranky from being in Covid-land for so long, but reach inside and pull out that compassion. I think we're all going to need a ton of it in the coming weeks. 

Behave!


No comments: