Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

On Writing...

I haven't done a post on writing in a long time. Since this blog is supposed to be snippets of not only the chaos this writer deals with on a daily basis, but the writing itself, I thought maybe a dose of something writing related was due.
And then, I couldn't think of anything to say. Not for a long time.
I was thinking about how writing is a personal journey - every writer I know approaches things differently. I can't tell you how to do it. I only know what works for me.
That's when it hit me. I don't think I've posted - and if I have, it's been a long time - about the value of having at least one person read your work and give you honest feedback. Honest - not total and absolute praise - if you're looking for that, send it to your grandmother, because in a good critique relationship you should get the good, and the "what needs work".
You need someone who'll pick up the stuff your tired eyes just can't see anymore. The inconsistencies with plot, characters, time, place and even names. Believe me, some of the things will make you smack your own forehead - but that's pretty normal.
Absolutely start a new relationship as a clearly stated test run. But first, you have to get over yourself and do it. For me, it was one of the scariest things I'd ever done. But so worth it.
So, if you don't have a critique partner, get one.
You'll be glad you did.
Behave!

No comments: