Pages

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Changes...

I've already mentioned some of the changes that will be going on around here for 2012. Weddings, engagement parties...Oh, and there are the milestone birthdays...3 of them...to consider. (K2 turns 21. K3 turns 16. K4 turns 13. And that's just in my immediate family - there are also a few 40's and more milestone birthdays and anniversaries than I can even remember at the moment)
In addition to all of that, I have - just today - been elected to oversee my local writing chapter as president.
Now, I've been vice-president for four years now, so it's a natural step. I only have one more year to serve on the board before I have to take a two year break. I am honored (even though I ran unopposed). There are big shoes to fill. I don't even think I can come close to our current/former president. In fact, I know I can't.
But I will do my best to be a good president in my own way.
One of my biggest problems is my terror of public speaking...
I'd gotten over this many, many moons ago because I was forced to. Years and years at home with no one but the spawn to speak to retracted all of the progress I'd made. That's not a bad thing, but now I find myself barely able to say the things I want to say when I have to stand up. I can talk to a group of people and be intelligent and effective, but the second I have to stand I turn into an idiot. So...I'm going to work on that. Maybe I'll be a "sit down" president for a while.
What's good is that I love my chapter. I love the people - my friends. I love writing. I love meeting day.
I will manage this. I will overcome my obstacles and be an effective (mostly unfunny president). Cool thing is that I have an awesome VP (I don't think she has any idea what she's just gotten herself into!) and almost all of the previous board remains the same, so that's going to help.
It's going to be a great year regardless of my lack of speaking skills. And a busy one!
That is all for now...
Behave!

1 comment:

Misty said...

Quite honestly I'm taking my shoes with me, so you have your own shoes to fill and they are just perfect for you!