Pages

Thursday, October 08, 2009

What's the Deal?

With zombies?
Why do they always have to show up and spoil a perfectly good movie? Ha!
I get it, I do. I just don't like them. At all.
K1 and his friend are completely in love with zombies. They talk about them all the time. All the time. To the point where B and I just roll our eyes and walk away/change the subject/anything to not have to talk about zombies. (B dislikes zombies as well)
When I think about the movies I've seen, and liked, that have had zombies in them: Night of the Living Dead, Night of the Comet, The Day After, ect. I realize it's not the zombie part I liked, it's the fact that there are not very many non-zombie people hanging around. That's one of the reasons I loved The Stand so much. (and there were no zombies!)
A long time ago B and I went with friends to look at this old house for sale. It was way out in the country and overgrown with weeds - clearly deserted. We walked around looking in the windows. When we got to the dining room, the table was still set - like the family just disappeared in the middle of the meal. All of their stuff was still inside, but they were gone. That has stuck with me always because I want to know what happened.
It's not the zombies, it's the world. The desolation. The walking into the diner and seeing plates and half-eaten food still on the tables, but no people. The empty houses and buildings. The not knowing if there's someone waiting to kill you because they're just as scared as you are. (but no zombies) The possibilities are endless. I want to know what happens when there's no one around to take care of things except a handful of people just doing their best to survive in a changed world. I don't think you need zombies for that - something scary, yeah, but not zombies.
Though...I guess you could outrun them...or something...ha!
Behave!

No comments: