Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Four Days...

K2 leaves for college.
I never cried when any of the K's went off to kindergarten. Yeah, certain birthdays and milestones have affected me emotionally - how can they not? But even though there's that little twinge of "my baby is growing up" *sniffle*, there's also the pride and elation of seeing your child succeed and grow. Even mastering their first day of school is a source of significance, despite the maternal worries. (And we're not talking about worry here. That's a whole 'nother subject.)
But...college seems different somehow. It is different. I will no longer get to hear about everything that went on in her day at the end of each one. There will be no more last minute runs to the store for project supplies. No more friends singing Disney songs, dancing, and trying to bake the cookie dough bits from the ice cream. No more constant chaos and hysterical stuff.
She's leaving. Embarking on her life and new experiences that will take her away from the core of our family and put her firmly into the adult world. I know she'll come home, but that won't be as often as any of us hope because she'll be working, hanging with her friends, and that boy she loves.
And I'm going to miss her more than I can say.
I know I will cry. I tear up just thinking about saying goodbye. Her dad will be no better - is no better.
At the same time I am so proud of her and I look forward to going through this college thing with her - even if it's only from the sidelines. I look forward to this next phase of her life and how our relationship will change and grow.
As proud as I am of the young woman she's become, as excited as I am for her, I miss the little girl she was.
Behave...

No comments: