Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer Survival: Year Two: Entry Seven

The educational camps have started.
I was blessedly and remarkably alone all day. For a short while, I did not know what to do with myself. I even put my headphones in - the headphones that restored my sanity during the hot days. Then, I realized I did not need them. The only noise was that of the large four-legged beast whining her disapproval that her children were not here. On second thought, maybe it was good I had them in.
It felt strange being the only inhabitant of our camp. Strange, and yet gleeful. I cannot say how long it has been since the natives have all been away at the same time. Weeks, maybe. Months, perhaps. Though, I can say with great pride that I didn't let the wonderment of the situation stall my efforts. I achieved more today than I have in the last week.
They go back tomorrow, so we shall see if this newfound sense of achievement and progress last. Before I can find out, I must travel to far off camps to replenish the rations. As usual. It is a trap I have yet to learn how to avoid. But first I must decide how to appease the natives without procuring the same old stew.
I am doomed.
And yet, I am not.
Behave!

No comments: