Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Retreat: Day Three - Morning

Ha! Pretty much the same time as yesterday morning!

It's really cold and really windy here. The wind howling through the trees is epic, but kind of comforting at the same time. I wish this fireplace to my left was a working thing. It's ginormous--two-sided with a hearth on each side and an exposed chimney. It totally fits in with the aesthetic of the room. 

Currently, I'm on a loveseat with a dining room chair serving as my footrest. One of my companions has both arm chairs. They're situated so one is her foot rest. And the other two companions are camped out on the sofa. It's working for us and despite the fact that everyone said they were willing to move if someone wanted to try out a different spot, we've all stayed the same place the whole time so far. 

I slept better last night. Woke around four freezing to death. Grabbed another blanket. Then I woke around eight sweating like crazy. The temperature in my room had risen fifteen degrees. Yuck. Got up and showered, made breakfast, goofed off for a while and have spent some time going through old book files looking for an idea file I made a long time ago.

So what happened is that as I started editing the book that killed me to finish, I realized that even if it's published this time next year, it's still too soon. The similarities between the pandemic we're in and what's going on in the book are remarkable. (Yeah, it's way over the top compared to our pandemic, but still...)And I started that book over a year before the pandemic started. As I was editing, I was cringing. So... I stuck it in my "to edit" file and am now doing some research on one of the other books in the series. I've had to familiarize myself with what I said about this place in the first book.

I'm getting ready to start writing - hopefully no later than after lunch. I still need to figure out my characters and all of that jazz. 

That's all for now!

Behave!


No comments: