Pages

Friday, March 13, 2020

Feel Good Friday?

What a crazy day!

State of Emergency! All schools closed! Library closed! Borough Offices closed! We're still up and running at work, but field precautions are in place. Meaning our guys have specific instructions on interacting with other teams, customers, and what to do. If our field guys don't work, there is no money coming in, therefore no paycheck. We will get set up to work from home on Tuesday afternoon, including That Man and I taking the phone calls that come in through the switchboard. And then we'll wait to see if we actually can/have to work from home.

K4's work is on basic shut down. They won't take any customers in the store at all anymore. Only drive through and they are cutting the staff back. She's worried. She works about 46 hours a week now, but this will greatly impact her schedule. Several of her coworkers are asking to be taken off the schedule, especially the pregnant ones. She's super worried about her bills and money. She's out with friends tonight, but when we texted, she was so overwhelmed she decided to shut her phone off. Her boss's message was worrisome, so I totally get it.

Hell. We're all worried. The financial impact of this is huge. For all of us. 

We had to stop at the big box store on our way home. We needed cat litter because Jesus, these cats poop a lot! We also decided to get charcoal since our goal is to grill all weekend. So, anyway, I thought, well... we'll just look at the chicken, because it's always cheap and why not have a little extra in the freezer. Ha! No meat at all... It was all gone! So crazy! When we got there, the cart area was full. When we left, like 20 minutes later, it was empty! And they have a lady at the wipe dispensing area, handing out one wipe per cart...

I do get it. Especially if you have kids now stuck at home for the next two weeks. That's mostly what we saw. Families with carts full of mac and cheese, snacks, and pasta. Milk and eggs were gone, too, and bottled water. Most folks were not overbuying, which is heartening. Some people were. Some people were total jerks. Some people weren't.

I know everyone is in panic mode. I get it.Though I don't understand how people can afford to overstock. We're buying the basics. The stuff we buy every week.

I don't know what to think at all. I do know that we're going to be okay. This is a temporary thing. And I think the right things are being done. And taking care of our families is the priority. Making sure we're safe and that our communities are safe. We're going to get through this. It's going to suck, but it's going to be okay in the end. I have also stayed off Facebook for most of the day to save my sanity. I can't deal - it's the virus, politics, and politics and the virus. Ugh. And I will continue to stay away. I just can't. I am seriously thinking about deactivating my account.

But our weekend is yard clean up and that's what I'm focusing on. And we have to do that to stay sane. We have a dumpster pass at a friends, so we can take the stuff that our regular trash guys won't take, which is super epic. We will get up early, load the trailer, go to unload it, and then probably stop for breakfast. Then we'll load up again.

Then we will grill kabobs. The meat is already marinating and we're making mango salsa and rice! The fact that we're home all weekend is amazing. We had already had this planned, so it has nothing to do with the current state of affairs.

I love you all and I hope you're all good.

Behave!

No comments: