Pages

Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Working From Home Survival Journal: Day Eight

Today has not been a good day.

Tempers are raw. Irritation reigns supreme. Nothing is going right.

The human coworker had to go to corporate again today. He is tired of having to go out. Quite frankly, he's worried to keep going out. We're trying to order the things he needs online, but some places won't let you do that, which means, despite him being an essential employee doing things for the safety of our crews, he's putting himself at risk. He hates that. It makes him cranky.

Nothing wanted to work correctly today. Our system had a huge lag which meant hours of frustration and ridiculousness.

We're not mad at each other mind you. Just irritated with today. We stopped speaking to each other right after lunch and communicated via notes. For a visual on this, our dining room table seats 6. We are working directly across from each other with the backs of our computers touching. He would send me a note to ask me to print something, and I would send him a sarcastic reply.

Yesterday I drew him a picture of a thermometer and said some crazy things on the note. He sent it to his boss. His boss told him he was on his own and that he'd better be nice to me.

What's frustrating? I mean, besides the system being slow... Not knowing if we will work next week. The traffic in front of our house being busier than it was Monday. Knowing one of us will have to go for supplies by the end of the week. Not having everything I need for work at home. There have been a few situations that I am not prepared for. I have figured it out and made it work, but it ticks me off that I didn't think about them when I covered every single other base.

What's good about working from home? Taking a nap at lunch time. That Man making me lunch. Being able to do laundry and start dinner. Knowing everyone else I deal with in my job is also working from home, so there's an empathy there. Being able to wrap up in a blanket while I work. (I can do this at work, too, but I haven't had to yet thanks to my handy dandy space heater) A more relaxed pace - though it's forced thanks to things being slow. I guess I'm learning more patience or something.

We laugh through our irritation and frustration, so that goes on the good side. We haven't said a harsh word to each other.

The Spawn Coworker has been checking in and doing her thing. She's made baked treats and done a lot of choring. She laughs at our weirdness.

I don't know...

Tomorrow's another day.

Behave!

No comments: