Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer Survival: Year 5: Entry 1

Summer officially started three weeks ago, but it has been chaos at our camp...
This week is the first "real" week of down time the younger natives have had.
And they are bored...
Oh, my goodness... they are bored already! They should be relaxing and enjoying and doing what they want. But... alas... they are bored.
That Man and I need help. We have asked, begged them to decide things they would like to explore... Their suggestions are not cost effective or schedule-fitting... (or realistic) And, we began asking for these ideas weeks before the vacation started. Argh!
We have a ceremony coming up - one that sucks up all of the time from now until then. We have stuff to do. Things to make. Stuff that does not really engage the younger K's, unless they choose to participate. They have no idea of our stress and woe. We have invited them to help us, but they have declined in favor of electronic things and the Internets. They are very clueless, I think.
They spend their time pursuing movies, games, music, and, I fear, arguing about nonsense. There is no logic. 
No logic. 
The stores of food have gone missing, as always. There is no stocking, though we try. I fear the energy charge from the powers-that-be since we've had to turn on the cooling units and the natives use them far more than we think they should. Plus, they sleep far longer than is logical. Teenagers are very strange natives. There are never any clean drying cloths in this camp. There are never any clean drinking vessels, but a lot of Disney movies show up on the recently watched Que on our Internet device. What does that mean? They are not little kids anymore?
One of the natives is visiting another camp at the moment. It is very weird here without her. The male native is strutting - enjoying his status as the only native, but I am still unsettled. (though I know the female native is okay and good and having fun. And it is good that we get to have time with the male native.) There are other camps for both natives coming up, but sadly, no different camp for That Man and I. (The natives are not gone at the same time) At least for a little while. We hope to survive the ceremony and make our way to a private camp for two after, but being the head natives...
This is my fifth year journaling about this camp. (My actual time in this camp is much, much longer) I understand I've been brainwashed by the natives, but they are all very special to me. The observations perplex and confuse me though. Every native is different. As soon as I think I have them figured out....
I wonder what I will do when there are no natives left in this camp? I must not think about that yet. There are a few more hot seasons to endure... 
It is a calm night here. We have had some major water fall from the sky, but our vegetables seem okay and we are grateful for that.... 
I must now find my sleep before the harsh daylight forces me from my slumber...
More soon...
Behave!

No comments: