Pages

Friday, January 22, 2021

Retreat: Day Two - Evening

This day flew by! 

I got my read-through done before noon. Whoot!

We began brainstorming another book I've been working on and was stuck with where to go next. The realization that the book is pretty much done where I am hit me hard and it's right. So whoot on that! I, obviously, need to do some editing, but everything I wanted to say in this book has been said! 

So, then I opened Sector Two to edit and immediately closed it. The gist of the story is that it's a post-pandemic world. I didn't think I could edit it because a lot of the scenarios are super close to what we've all been dealing with the last almost year. 

I took a break and decided to put my big girl panties on and actually edit the damned thing. I'm ten pages in and while I'm cringing at a lot of the similarities, I'm also working hard to enhance it as someone who's also been in the middle of a pandemic (just definitely not in the same way as the heroine, but I can still give her more emotions).

The day hasn't been super productive as far as output. For any of us. But it's been productive in the sense that we have hashed out a lot of personal concerns, we figured out my story was done, we booked our next retreat gig, we brainstormed stuff, we ate dinner together even though we all made our own food, and we have talked until we are all hoarse. We watched turkey vultures congregate and fly around our house. I did not nap. Nor did I shower. 

But.... as always, sometimes retreat is like that. Always retreat is just what you need. Which has, so far, happened for me. I have peace on my guardian story. I am editing the story that killed me to finish. I finished my read-through. I am with friends. I have no obligations except for what I want and need to do. Which is focus on my writing goals, even if I get no words on the page.

Retreat was already a success yesterday, but it's even more so after today! And we have one more full day here! 

Behave!  

No comments: