Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Where Have I Been? The Sucky Part.

We ran out of here the Friday after I posted left - picked up our fancy rental car (got an upgrade we thought we would love, but as it turns out, it had concrete for back seats - anyway), and hit the road.

I'll hit the highlights of our trip when I post again.

We were about two hours out when we got the call that our oldest brother had been killed in a car accident. He had been riding along taking his son to work, when a deer came out. His son swerved a hit a telephone pole.

Tragic.

We proceeded to our uncles because there was no way we could turn around and drive back at that point. Our joyous arrival was cut short by the news. We waited to find out details of the funeral and then had to make a snap decision to have at least two of us present. Our nephew called and begged us to figure out a way to make it. So we did.

Airline tickets are outrageous, so we could only afford for two of us to come. I was elected as well as our other brother. It was a rough thirty-six hours. I think I managed maybe an hour of sleep during that time. Also, I had never flown before. Four flights in twenty-four hours...

I won't get into how awful the funeral services were. I'm pretty sure you get that picture. He had thirteen children with eight still at home.

The whole thing is surreal and doesn't make sense. He was a good man - a good father and husband. He would give you the shirt off of his back in a heartbeat without question. We had a lot of good times growing up.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Behave.

No comments: