Pages

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Becoming A Hermit

I could easily do that.
Become a hermit, that is.

Some days I dread going out.
It's nothing except the simple fact that I'd rather stay here and write. I don't feel like that on the weekends. Well, not usually - but that's mostly not an option around here. I do have to admit I love the idea of being snowed in.

I don't watch TV much and never during the day, so I don't know what's going on in the world. We don't get the paper and I'd much rather listen to my music than flip on the radio. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Becoming a hermit threatens my social skills. Admittedly, I don't have many social type skills to begin with. I'm a pretty shy person. (shut up, it's true) More than that, becoming a hermit threatens my writing skills. It puts me in a box with no window to the outside world so I can see how people act/react/interact. That's not good for creating believable characters and dialogue. That dries up the well and kills the creativity.

So I have to watch the becoming a hermit threat. I'm going out for a little bit today. Someplace different (translation: not the grocery store). Maybe just to grab a take out lunch or window shop at a store I'm never brave enough to go to with the crew.

But maybe this sudden urge to go out is just a form of procrastination?

1 comment:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Man, I so identify with this. You know that movie The Net with Sandra Bullock? Could totally be me.

I don't think it's procrastination, though, I think it's balance. It takes a lot out of you to write 50 pages. You need to rest and recharge and heal, just like the day after intense exercise.