Pages

Monday, December 11, 2006

O Christmas Tree


Well, there it is.
Can't say this picture does the tree much justice though. Don't know if that's the camera or me. A big tree, and as the branches relax, it just keeps getting bigger.
We have a mish mosh of different decorations. The kids are allowed to hang what they want, where they want to. There are no rules. Except for K2's fragile collection of ballerina Barbies. They go at the top. And the handblown glass ornament my mom gave us the year we married. Other than that, they are in charge.
Most of the time, we have some interesting items on our tree. Skeletons, clothing tags...every year something odd gets placed in the branches. See that red sled at the left bottom? Someone stuck a "boys sleepwear" sticker on it last year. Once, at one of B's work Christmas parties, many moons ago, we made decorations out of the meal choice tags. For a long time, we had "chicken" and "beef" hanging from hooks on the tree. I'm sure we still have them in the box of decorations that are too fragile to use any longer. The memories stuff like that brings back are far more important than worrying about matching ornaments and uniformity of colors and shapes.
We did find a praying mantis egg sack in the branches. That's outside now. Every time I see it, I can't help but wonder what would have happened had it hatched in the house. Don't get me wrong - I think praying mantis' are cool, but I definitely don't want them in my house. I've seen them hatch before and there are hundreds of them. Yikes!
Every year, I think the tree is the most beautiful one we've had. This year is no different.

2 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

That's an excellent tree, and I love the way you decorate it!

Victoria said...

Thank you!