Pages

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Dealing...

Yesterday was the funeral planning.

I ended up taking off work to go with them. I couldn't leave them alone to take care of things when I had insight and there was no way I could leave my husband. We were there for four hours. Not because we had a lot of planning to do, but because we couldn't stop talking. Our pastor is amazing and provides the best comic relief. And while we were disappointed that our Funeral Bob wasn't taking care of us (it was his day off and he was booked with personal stuff), his replacement did an amazing job, which just speaks to the level of care they provide.

We did have to make some decisions. Like food, and an urn, and the programs. She took care of the financials and her final wishes, but did leave some things up to us. I think we did a pretty good job figuring stuff out. I'm glad I was there. Not that they couldn't have figured it out themselves, but there was some reliance on me since I've done this twice before. I didn't mind at all and I was grateful to be there with them through this.

We chose a simple wooden box. I wrote a poem, but don't think it's good enough to put on the programs. We actually found a poem in her room that I sent in to the funeral home for that.

Also, we discovered that they have tiny urns. That was a bonus since her ashes will be buried with their dad. I wish we would have realized that for our parents, but it's all good. That Man and his sister each got one. Their brother wasn't about that, which is fine. Some people feel weird about ashes. I feel weird about the fingerprint stuff.

We won't be having a viewing. She felt very strongly about no one looking at her when she's dead. I understand that completely. She's being cremated, so we'll have her ashes there. It's going to be a long day.

We went to lunch after, which was a good sharing time for both That Man and That Sister.

There is still so much to do. Picture boards. Clothing. Scheduling That Brother. He comes in soon and we have family obligations to attend, host, and manage. I'm back to work and it's brutal. So far behind and so much stuff to do there.

I'm not able to go to the mini retreat my writing chapter is hosting. That sucks, but I have to do what I have to do. I was really looking forward to it, too.

That is all...

Behave!

No comments: