Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Survival: Year Two: Entry Four

Summer is going so fast. The natives and I have barely had a chance to seek pleasant experiences outside of our camp. In a few short days, it will be the month of the return to the educational camps. I will admit I look upon it with mixed emotions. The yearning for the structure has not yet overtaken me, probably because there has been less unstructured time around the camp this year. I cringe at the thought of assignments and projects and supplies, the lack of sleeping in, and the constant outlay of shells and beads.
Keeping foodstuffs in camp has become an epic situation. I trade for the necessary products only to have them disappear while I rest. Or so it seems. Then, I hear constant laments about how starving they are because there is nothing to eat. I do not understand. Perhaps I never will. I will also never understand how they can be so rude to each other one minute and then decide to happily do something together the next. I am clueless as to how this works, and no amount of asking gives me the answer I seek.
For now though, we will make the most of the remaining time.
Behave!

No comments: