Pages

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Tuesday...

It's a somewhat quiet evening around here.

K4 is officially done with classes and tests and all of that. Her next step is graduation practice on Thursday.

I had a moment, okay, I'm still having a moment, of complete nostalgia. We have been in the public school system for twenty-four years now. There hasn't been a year in the last twenty-four years that we haven't had at least one kid in school. It feels really weird and I can't help but think of all of those summers I was home with the kids between grades and helping them prep for their next year of school. In a weird way, I miss those days.

I remember juggling elementary, middle, and high school events. Luckily, there were two of us to handle everything during those times. It was crazy. It was fun. It's memories of our life.

Now we're done with that phase of our lives. Completely. (except for one more step on Thursday for the actual ceremony)

Today I woke K4 up for school for the very last time. I have to say, I definitely had a feeling. Our last child graduating. Done with the public school system. Wow. I sat on the back porch before I had to leave for work and held back a few tears just thinking about the past and our journey.

That Man and I spent a lot of time texting back and forth today about the fact that very soon it will be just him and I again. Just like when we started out. It feels kind of weird and exciting at the same time. We're not sure what K4's immediate future will be. She's on the wait list for college in the fall, but we hope that changes soon. If it doesn't, she still has plans.

When K4 stopped into his work to tell him she was done with school, he had his own moment. She left his work with her car back in action.

Thursday night she walks the walk and receives her diploma. I need to buy tissues. Partly because of the nostalgia, and the other part because I'm free of morning wake ups and... well, it's a long story there. This is the kid who walked out of the first day of kindergarten and told me she's moving to the French because they don't make their kids "do this". That should be enough to let you know what a journey this has been with her. Both joy and frustration.

That is all for now!

Behave!

No comments: