Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last Day of 2009

Dear 2009,
You were a fast year - one I entered into with a lot of hope and expectation. I specifically remember standing in the dark a few minutes after midnight. I looked up at the sky and took a deep breath. I let all of the newness and hope fill me. ...and you disappointed me. Again.
I'm not saying you were a bad year. Perhaps this feeling is just me. Perhaps my dreams were too big for 2009. Maybe I expected too much from you. The small things you did give me always had a price attached - and that price was usually disappointment and anxiety. You weren't as bad as some of your predecessors, but bad enough in your own right. I look upon the good things from the year and can call you somewhat of a success. I know the base on which I stand is solid and filled with love and friendship. I know I have more blessings than many and I am grateful. So, I thank you for that and ask that you now leave. Don't let the door hit you on your way out. I think its for the best. For all of us.
It's not you. It's me. Really. And I am washing my hands of you - in a loving way, of course.
Dear 2010,
Once I stop typing 1010 and actually hit the 2, I think we will be friends. I hope to not make the same mistakes I made with 2009 - I will try not to expect too much from you. I will try not to blame you when something goes wrong. But I do hope you are filled with good news and happy times. I realize you will be the year that holds great change for my family and I ask that you treat the coming events with kindness and understanding. Not too much at once, if you please. Be patient with me and I will be patient with you. 2009 was not patient. Or perhaps that was just me.
I know your time here is short and I hope to make the most of every bit of it. Don't go too fast, please. Remind me to slow day and enjoy. And take it easy on us. 2009 stripped us naked and left us in the freezing rain.
See you soon!
And...
Behave!

No comments: