Pages

Monday, September 03, 2018

Labor Day Monday...

We are back from our weekend in The Wilds!

That Man took off early on Friday and we packed up our gear, hit the grocery store, came back and packed the food in the cooler and waited for K4 because she asked us to (for like ten minutes and thankfully she made it through the roads that flooded out about ten minutes prior to the flooding). As soon as she was packed up (we had zero room for her gear), we hit the road. I was ready after having the morning to get crap done. It was good.

We had a wonderful time. There was a ton of laughter and camp fires. Not much sleeping in, but that's okay. It rained Friday night, which was actually good. Especially once it started really raining and put me to sleep.

Woke up at normal-weekday time on Saturday. Decided I was going to my writing meeting even though I'd said I wasn't because of camp. I woke up feeling very strongly about going. I'm so glad I did. The meeting was productive, if not a bit sad, but that will be taken care in two months. That's pretty much all I'm going to say about that.

Got back to camp to "cowboy breakfast" or "brunch". Delicious. Decompressed from the meeting and enjoyed conversation with family and friends. K1 came down with Mr. B. He hung out with us while K1 worked on his car. Mr. B is hysterical. He's digging kindergarten. He insists my name is "Becky" no matter what I, or anyone else, says. Ha! He begged to stay over and, of course, we said yes.

He ran around like a crazy person and was exhausted by the time bedtime rolled around. We tucked him in and I wrote while he settled in. He was asleep within five minutes, but I continued to write for about an hour. Nice and perfect!

Sunday morning, the kid has us up - okay, me - That Man is always up early - at an earlier time than I wanted to be. We made hot chocolate and bagels and hung out with the family. Mr. B has decided he doesn't like to eat things with holes in them. The bagel hole offended him (even though he'd already eaten the first half) and then, later, he refused to eat anymore of his Ra-ra's strawberries because strawberries have holes when the stems come out. I don't think he remembers that doughnuts have holes. He might change his mind once he learns that. Ha!

Anyways. Holiday Sundays are picnic days in The Wilds. Friends and family come for the day to eat food and hang out by the creek. It's a pot luck event. Sometimes we have six crock pots full of baked beans, or twelve platters of chicken - you just never know what you're going to get, but it always works out. This picnic was a bit different because my brother-in-law's parents - the ones who take care of pretty much everything for the event - were on their way to their vacation, which left my brother-in-law and sister in charge. We were their helpers, but unfortunately, the dish we picked to make for the picnic took freaking forever to get ready and it was super labor intensive. It was That Man, me, K1, and J in my sister's kitchen preparing the homemade taquitos. We barely made it in time and we didn't get to help as much as we wanted.

K4 did the general run to the store for supplies after coming home to check the kitties and then got back and made some banging stuffed jalapenos. Seriously. All of the food was good, but her poppers were amazing. That Man and I did very little to help. I gutted the jalapenos (and my hands burned for hours.) and That Man grated her cheese, but she did everything else. There was nothing left on the pan when the picnic was over.

And... as little as we had left of said taquitos, I know our flour tortilla version was far better than the corn tortilla version, so there's that. I will make them again, but the recipe will be tweaked a lot. The vegan version, in my opinion, was far better. (Yes, we always try to make a vegan version of whatever recipe we try for these events. It's just what we do. Our family is very vegan friendly because we have several vegans.)

The guys got into the creek to build the dam up. I really wish I would have taken my creek shoes so I could have helped, but after they found this sharp scythe-type thing, I was happier to take the kayak out and relax on the water. That was amazing and my arms, sides, and stomach ache, but in a good way.

We were in bed stupid early. Seriously stupid early. I was almost asleep when we heard people on the water. In the pitch black dark. Freaky. That is the first time that any of us have ever experienced people on the water after dark. It freaked me out. In a huge way. They were very clearly hammered and no threat, but this writer's mind went in directions that kept me up for hours. Not just that though. I had one of those nights were the old brain just would not shut the f**k up. I then spent the next five or so hours running ridiculous scenarios through my brain.

I got up to use the bathroom and the dog had basically kicked me out of bed. There was no way I could even being to think about squeezing in between her and That Man and the dog was so tired that she would not wake up enough to even move an inch. (She was in the creek all day - swimming in the current, chasing things, and generally wearing herself out). I went to sleep on the other end of the camper and it still took me hours to actually fall asleep.

I was still up at a normal time. Oy! We had some coffee and some creek watching and then broke camp. We made it home about the time I thought we would. I thought I would get a nap, but that didn't happen. Though the laundry is all done and the house is in good order. K4 was planning to go back to school after dinner. We'd planned to order subs from our local pizza shop and then remembered they were closed on Monday's. Went through a bunch of options and then decided to give "Grub Hub" a shot. We've used them at work with good results and I was excited to try it at home for future use for That Man and I...

What a freaking joke! We ordered our food at 4:32 and were told it would be delivered by 5:37. Our driver picked up the food at 5:37, but did not deliver it until 7:15 or so, and then it was just 1/3 of our order and it was stone cold. I was online with the service from the time I got the email that said our food would be delivered an hour from pick up. I was told our food would be here in 10 minutes. Twenty minutes went by and still no food. And then another ten minutes went by with no food. I contacted them again - at the two hour mark and was told it would be another 25 minutes until our food would be delivered. I got a $10 coupon, but we're not doing that again. They are supposed to be refunding me the full amount of my order. Seriously. The restaurant we ordered from is 11 minutes from our house and it took hours for them to deliver, and then it's not the full order and it's cold?

We ended up going to the diner down the street so we could have a family dinner before K4 went back to school for however long it will be before we see her again. (seriously, it could be tomorrow, it could be next week or two weeks... no one knows... not even K4) Food was good. Service was good. It was a better option, though it would be better if my Grub Hub money was already refunded...

Now I am going to bed. Work is again tomorrow and I am so not looking forward to it. I have no idea what is going on this week yet...

That is all...

Behave!


No comments: